August 06, 2006

Today it starts

The 19th European Athletics Championships. The city is going to be rather crowded with about 250.000 visitors. Only 1370 are competitors, the rest is media, volunteers and spectators. I live next to the closed off venues and event zones and acting like an old grumpy lady I’m actually going to try to stay away from the whole thing. Lots of people, raised prices on food and drinks etc isn’t my cup of tea nowadays. OMG, maybe this is sign after all that I’m getting old and grumpy?!?!

But really I shouldn’t dismiss the event just like that. It is fun too of course, and I am actually going on Saturday. The comany is one of many sponsors to
The Championship City Festival and on Saturday there is a big sponsor event. Our Marketing Director was invited, but when he wasn’t able to go he asked my team and I if we wanted to go. He’s such a sweet man! It’s a whole day thing starting with lunch in one of the sponsor lounges. Then we will watch the Gothenburg son Christian Olsson hopefully win the men’s triple jump final. When the competitions are done there will be diner and mingle bash in another sponsor lounge. I’m not very good at mingling, so I can’t say I’m looking forward to the lunch and dinner thing, but watching the athletes will be fun. Even though I think I would be able see better watching the TV at home. But on the other hand when watching at home I wouldn’t get free food and drinks... So I guess I just have to take the good with bad.

No comments: