November 02, 2008

Mamma Mia - The movie

A friend and I finally made it to the cinema on Thursday to watch Mamma Mia. With the film coming out on DVD in only three weeks one would think the theatre would be empty. On contrary, the theatre was more or less full and this was even one of the largest room at the cinema. Amazing! But then I guess we Swedes have a very special relationship with Abba...

I think I liked the film better than the musical. I saw the musical last summer here in Sweden and had a bit of a problem hearing the songs in Swedish. They should be in English as they always have been, and in English I know every word of the lyrics. It is what I grew up with being a child of the 70's.

Meryl Streep's singing was quite impressive The singing of Colin Firth and Pierce Brosnan were not as impressive but what they lacked in singing they made up in charm. That went for Stellan Skarsgård as well.

The two hours and 10 minutes just disappeared and when we were leaving I think everybody had a smile on their face and were humming on an Abba tune. It's quite incredible that pop music which was written for more than 35 years ago still has effect on people. Good working Björn and Benny.

No comments: