May 11, 2009

Time to check the eyes

I've been going back and forth to London regularly for the last three years. Doing the same old routines every time. Like visiting the bathroom right before the gate comes up on the board and then go straight to the gate. The gate is usually somewhere between 1, 2 or 3, so yesterday when I checked the board and it said 36 I got a bit surprised but started walking since that takes about 10-15 minutes.

Walking out that pier I could not find any signs that said SAS but I did both hear and see Swedish people so I kept walking. When the air planes started to become jumbo jets and had destinations such as Boston, Toronto and Los Angeles I got a bit suspicious but kept walking. There was probably a reason why SAS had ended up out there... Well, I got to gate 36 and there it said American Airlines to Chicago. For the first time in my life I had walked to the wrong gate. Embarrassing, but at least I was by myself...

Looking at the clock I also realised that I was now in a real hurry. The next plane with SAS to Gothenburg is in the evening and I had no intention to sit at Heathrow all day. There are a lot more fun things do on a Sunday. Finally back at the main terminal I checked the board again and it said 3a, which for me had become 36 in a quick glance. If it had said 3A with a capital letter I would probably have noticed the first time. Rushing down another pier I just got there before they closed and I tried to be very cool about it. Even though I could feel the sweat running dowmn my back. Phew!

So either I need to check my eyes, it has been a while, or I need to watch where I'm going and not go on autopilot just because I've done it some many times before.

No comments: