January 17, 2010

Autobiography junkie

Finishing In search of a beginning: My life with Graham Greene last night I realised I've become quite an autobiography or memoir junkie. I love to read about other people and their lives. A bit of voyeurism I guess...

My life with Graham Green is his partner Yvonne Cloetta's account of their 32 years together. Written in a quite unusual format of Q's and A's it feels a bit like reading an interview, but as soon as you get used to it the book is very fascinating. Cloetta tells us her own reflections on Greene's very complex character. A passionate lover, a man suffering from depression and love for danger. But also a man with a great sense of humour and talent for enjoyment. Something I believe is what made Graham Greene the outstanding author he still is almost 20 years after his death

It's a book behind the scenes of a great author and it gives you as a reader a new side to understand and become fascinated by.

No comments: