December 20, 2013

November wines

November is my least favourite month of the year and this year was no exception. Dark, wet and windy. Ugh! Thank God for nice wines to drink and good friends to enjoy them with.

My favourite bottles of the month are both champagne, 2008 André Clouet Millésime and NV Billecart-Salmon Brut Réserve.

André Clouet is an old favourite of mine and yet again I could only say – Mmm, so very good! Brioche, butter, apricots, citrus and some slate. Perfect to get a dinner party going.

Billecart-Salmon was actually a new try for me (Yes I know…), but what a find. Just my taste – some bread, some pink grapefruit and some green apples. Also hints of flowers in the finish. Very nice!

During the month there was also a bottle of 2005 Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Chardonnay and several glasses of both Palmer & Co and Piper-Heidsieck. Clearly a champagne month. Madame Lilly Bollinger (1899-1977) was unaccountably right.

"I only drink champagne when I’m happy, and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company, I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty."

2005 Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Chardonnay

2009 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Poliziano

2002 Château Greysac

2008 Domaine Weinbach Gewurztraminer Altenbourg Clos des Capucins

2010 Beronia Viticultura Ecológica

2111 Periquita Reserva

2011 Serrata Belguardo

2011 Barone Ricasoli Brolio

2007 Jean-Marc Brocard Bourgogne Blanc Kimmeridgien

2006 Chablis Le Beaunois Labouré-Roi

2007 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Premier Cru Montée de Tonnerre

2010 Luigi Righetti Campolieti Ripasso

2010 Poliziano Vino Nobile di Montepulciano

2008 André Clouet Millésime

2009 Tenuta Argentiera Poggio Ai Ginepri Bolgheri

NV Billecart-Salmon Brut Réserve

2009 Trimbach Selection de Vielles Vignes Riesling

2009 Domaine du Vieux Lazaret Chateauneuf-du-Pape

2005 Chateau d’Arche Grand Cru Classé Sauternes

No comments: