November 20, 2006

The fine art of delivery

My Red iPod finally arrived today. And when I say finally I mean thank god it’s here and I don’t have to bather with UPS any longer. Apparently delivering a parcel is a very fine art.

When I got home from work on Thursday there was a note saying that UPS had tried to deliver a parcel to me, but since I wasn’t home they would try the same time (around 11:30) the next day. Living in a block of flats with really no neighbours being at home during the day I decided to work from home on Friday. Besides UPS said they would come before noon so I could go into the office in the afternoon. I find it quite pleasant to work from home. I get to do a lot without a ringing phone or getting interrupted with someone just passing by.

By 11:30 I started to listen for someone at the door. I even turned down the radio so I really should be to hear the UPS guy. The clock turned 12 and 12:30. No delivery. I made a quick lunch and continued working and waiting. By 2 I started to be annoyed. Another hour later I was getting very irritated. By 4 I was plain mad and called UPS wondering where my parcel was. But they couldn’t say since the last delivery is by 5. By 5:05 I called again and talked to very nice man. According to him my parcel should have been delivered, but since I hadn’t received any a supervisor from my area would call me.

An hour and a half later a supervisor called telling me, without listing to my side of the story, that I hadn’t been home at 11:45 and the parcel had gone back to UPS. And by the way if I weren’t home on Monday the parcel would go back to the sender. Instead of yelling which I really would have liked to do, I used a very stern and angry voice telling him that I had been home all day and I could not have missed the delivery. But the supervisor did not give up. Now the code downstairs was wrong so the delivery guy couldn’t get in. Very strange since he got in the day before… The delivery guy had also left me another note. I had not received another note nor had I missed someone at the door. I live in a two-room apartment, not a mansion.

I’m not very good at arguing, so just to get to an end of things I asked what time they could deliver on Monday. Some time during the day was not the answer I wanted to hear, but got. You just have to be able to say around what time I kept saying. No can’t do said the supervisor. Oh yes you can! If it was possible to say when you would come around the next day then you can say a time on Monday as well. Could you be home after 2 o’clock said the supervisor, probably wishing he were having a drink instead of arguing with one angry woman on a Friday night.

Today I left the office by noon to really be on the safe side and by 3 my new little red music machine arrived. Ahh, life is good!

No comments: