August 04, 2009

The whole day through

I haven't read as much as I thought I was going to do this holiday but most of the books I have read so far have been very good. At one of my many trips to London during the spring I found The whole day through by Patrick Gale. I started reading the book at supper time my first night in Nice and continued reading every night. During the day I actually caught myself looking forward to supper so I could continue to read and find out what was going to happen next.

The whole day trough tells the story about love, as bitter sweet it can be, together with morality, memoires and the art of being good. Laura is a 40-something woman who has been forced to moved back from Paris to take care of her ailing mother in Winchester. There she runs into Ben, the love of her student days, who has left London and his wife to take care of his younger brother that has Down's Syndrome. Their old love is immediate but the question is if can sustain the tests of love, i.e. the failings, the triumphs and the regrets.

I finished the last pages sitting at Copenhagen airport and when I had turned over the last page I found myself staring out through the window feeling the same bitter sweet pain in the heart just as Laura and Ben had felt. In another word I had been touched by love.

No comments: