January 10, 2010

The other hand

Back at work now, but with sweet memories of my reading frenzy the last couple of weeks. There is especially one book I can't forget - The other hand by Chris Cleave.

A woman at Blackwell's bookshop in Oxford recommended it to me and I remember looking at the cover a bit suspicious as it looked just like one of those books I wouldn't read. Then I read the back page synopsis and got quite intrigued:
We don't want to tell you what happens in the this book... This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice. Two years later, they meet again...
It's a rather bold statement to add to a back page, but it had me and still has me. The book makes you wonder how much a life is worth and what you and I can do to save a life, and when we can't. The book also tells you that most important things in life are usually the small things such as love and empathy. Give and you shall receive.

No comments: