February 25, 2010

I loathe snow

This is going to be a a rant about snow. At this moment I loathe snow. First snow arrived right in time for Christmas. That was rather nice and we had the first white Christmas in 10 years. That was fine. Then more snow arrived and more snow. Then it became extremely cold with temps hoovering around -15 during the day. Well at least no more snow arrived, but at soon as it got milder (-5 is now milder...) it started snowing again.

Airports have been closed, trains, buses, trams are not running. Roofs on sports centres all over the country have caved in because of snow. Schools have been closed down in fear of collapsing roofs. The only thing people are talking about at the moment is snow and how to get rid of it. People with houses clearing their driveways don't know where to put in any longer. Right here in the the middle of the city we currently have 55 cm of snow. Some piles of snow are even as high as me. Even the kids are starting to get tired of the snow. It's not fun to play in it when there is so much of it you can hardly walk.

Today we got another 5 cm after almost a week of constant blizzards This is not funny any more. It's almost March and you're suppose to start looking for signs of spring. Not for a day without snow. Enough (s)now.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I hate snow to. In MN we are having an extremely mild winter with temperatures usually around 15 degrees F. Usually it frozen here and about -15 to -30 with windshield. But at least when it's that cold it can't snow anymore. Since it's so warm though we have snow everywhere, but and now it's just getting in the way... At least there isn't that much ice!

The Wine Maestro said...

I enjoyed your post and I thought you might like to read this diary of an Englishman living in the highlands:

"Our First Winter"

DEC 20th
It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first we've seen for years. The wife and I took out our hot toddies and sat on the porch watching the fluffy soft flakes drift gently down clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It's so beautiful and peaceful.

DEC 24th
We awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white glistening snow covering as far as the eye could see. What a fantastic sight, every tree and bush covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shovelled snow for the first time ever and loved it. I did both our driveway and the pavement. Later that day a snowplough came along and accidentally covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shovelled it away again. The children next door built a snowman with coal for eyes and a carrot for a nose, and had a snowball fight, a couple just missed me and hit the car so I threw a couple back and joined in their fun.

DEC 26th
It snowed an additional 5 inches last night and the temperature dropped to around minus 8 degrees. Several branches on our trees and bushes snapped due to the weight of the snow. I shovelled the driveway again. Shortly afterwards the snowplough came by and did his trick again. Much of the snow is now a brownish - grey.


JAN 1st
Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tyres for both our cars. Fell on my backside on the driveway. Went to a physio but nothing was broken.


JAN 5th
Still cold. Sold the wife's car and bought her a 4x4 to get her to work. She slid into a wall and did considerable damage to the right wing. Had another 8 inches of snow last night. Both vehicles are covered in salt and iced up slush. That bloody snowplough came by twice today. Where's that bloody shovel.


JAN 9th
More bloody snow. Not a tree or bush on our property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a paraffin heater which tipped over and nearly torched the house. I managed to put the flames out but suffered 2nd degree burns on my hands. Lost all my eyebrows and eyelashes. Car hit a deer on the way to casualty and car was written off.


JAN 13th
Bloody white stuff just keeps on coming down. Have to put on every article of clothing just to go to the post box. The little gits next door ambushed me with snowballs on the way back - I'll shove that carrot so far up the little beggar's backside it'll take a good surgeon hours to find it. If I ever catch the sod that drives the snowplough I'll chew open his chest and rip out his heart with my teeth. I think he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shovelling and then he accelerates down the street like Michael-Bloody-Schumacher and buries the driveway again.


JAN 17th
Sixteen more bloody inches of bloody snow and bloody ice and sleet and god knows what other white crap fell last night. I'm in court in 3 months time for assaulting the snowplough driver with an ice-pick. Can' t move my flaming toes. Haven't seen the sun for 5 weeks. Minus 20 and more bloody snow forecast.


JAN 18th
SOD IT, I'M MOVING BACK TO LONDON.

Cathy said...

That's hilarious, Wine Maestro.

:=)