September 12, 2010

West coast wines

On Wednesday it was time for the first wine tasting of the autumn - wines from the American west coast.

Kings Ridge Oregon Pinot Noir 2007
Light red colour with hint of blue. Lots of cherries, raspberries and red currants on the nose and palate. I still haven't learnt to like Pinot Noir yet. They are very characteristics with their cherries, raspberries and light colour but I just find it too light for my taste.

Lucas & Lewellen Syrah 2007
Deep red blueish colour. The nose is very distinct with blackberries, plums, licorice, raspberries and some oak. The palate is filled with fresh fruits such as blackberries, plums and raspberries. Also pepper and hot spices. Syrah/Shiraz is one of my favourite grapes and every time the spicy pepper note hits the palate I start smiling.

Windsor Sonoma Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon 2007
Deep red blueish colour. Nose of dark fruits, chocolate coffee and vanilla. The palate is filled with roasted oak, blackcurrants and vanilla. Lately I have started to think that plain Cabernet Sauvignons are just boring on both the nose and palate. You know exactly what you are going to get and this wine was not exception.

McManis Petite Sirah 2008
Deep red colour with hints of purple. On the nose plenty of boysenberries, blueberries and fruity aromas. The palate gives away tobacco, vanilla and again red and black fruits. My favourite of the evening. It reminds me a lot of Syrah, but with a more youthful taste and milder spiciness.

Beringer Founders Estate Old Vine Zinfandel 2007
Deep red purple colour. The nose reminds me a bit of of Christmas spices such as cloves, vanilla and allspice along with blackberries. On the palate there is hints of burned oak, pepper, and vanilla. In my book this a very bland Zinfandel without the distinct nose and palate of jam and fruitiness.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cathy!
Where do you do your wine tastings?

I think it is fun to read your not liking Pinot Noir too much. Goes with my theory, that Swedish women like more 'rougher' wines than German women usually do. To me it is all about the food combinations, though. I really like PN because it matches so many food dishes. But on the other hand, some dishes just ask for 'more' wine... :-)

Cheers!
Heike

Cathy said...

Mostly in Jason's cellar (Göteborgs Vinkällare), but from time to time also at home or at some friend's home.

Yep, I'm very much a woman who likes robust wines :=) I had PN with food several times and find it pretty nice, but in a tasting where I can have both Syrah and Zinfandel well then PN is a bit weak for my liking.