March 06, 2011

Nothing to write about

Everybody who writes regularly knows that from time to time there is nothing to write about. I’m right there now. No food or wine to write about. No books or photos to refer to. My head is just blank. The more I try to come up with something to write about the more annoyed I get because my head is empty. Blank like a new sheet of paper.

A friend of mine who’s an author once told me that if you write about what you’re passionate about the words will come. Not to day... Zip. Nada. For the last 20 minutes I’ve been starring out the window looking at the clear blue sky, but that hasn’t help. Gawd, my life can’t be that boring. There must be something I can write about. I did read a book yesterday and on Friday I tried another wine from Australia.

The book was written by a Swedish blogger and media person about growing up with a very old father. His father was also one of most successful Swedish TV producers back in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, so the family got quite a bit of media coverage. I’m not sure if I liked the book or not. The author is one of those media people you see everywhere and always have an opinion on everything. But somehow the book did struck a chord with me. The feelings of helplessness you get when you realize your parents are getting old and there is nothing you can do about it other than accepts facts.

The wine I tried of Friday night was a Cabernet Sauvignon called Next of kin from Xanadu Wines in Margaret River, Western Australia. I’m not a big fan of Cabernet Sauvignons. I usually find then dull or boring, but when I noticed that the wine came from Xanadu Wines I just had to try it. Almost a year ago I go I attended an Australian vintage tasting where all the wines but one had been stored for 10 years. That evening is still one of my most cherished moments as a wine geek. The Cabernet Sauvignon that night came from Xanadu and probably for the first time I could really tell the difference between Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon. The hot and spicy contra the cold and fruity.

The Next of kin Cabernet Sauvignon being a more everyday wine didn’t let me down either. Very fruity with cassis, eucalyptus, plums and toasted oak. A full bodied wine with supple tannins and an acid backbone. I matched the wine with sirloin steak and potato au gratin. Together they were really a match made in heaven. Those strict tannins where made soft by the meat and the fruitiness went very well with the creamy potatoes. Mmm...

Well, well... For not having anything to write about I think I written a lot now, and it has all been about what I’m passionate about. Food, wine and books.

No comments: