March 22, 2011

Trying South African wines (again)

OK, I admit it. I'm in love with Australian wine. Spanish and French wine are my favourites from the Old World, but if I get to decided – it's Australian all the way...

Here in Sweden wine from South Africa has become a best-seller, beating Australia as number one on the list. To my horror most of the South African wine is also sold as bag-in-box. Can't get any worse than that in my opinion...

That might be one of the reasons why I find it hard to like wine from South Africa. A rather silly reason I admit, but still. Or the quality isn't really what I would like it to be. My palate has grown used to something else. With South Africa still being a rather young wine country at least when it comes to exporting, a lot of experimenting takes place and many of them make wine especially suited for different markets. Something I that I'm not particular very found of, but everybody needs to make a living.

Unfortunately though I don't like the South African wine coming to Sweden. It's too smoky, has a high alcohol content and is mismatch of way too many wine characteristics. One or two in a bottle is more than enough. From time to time I do try South African wine, thinking that this time I will like it, but I get disappointed each time. It's just not my type of wine.

Last Friday I tried again, having been recommend two different ones by a wine guy on the ferry going home from Germany. We talked wine for quite some time and he said I would love them since I'm a big wine of d'Arenberg wines. Well, he was wrong... And comparing it to d'Arenberg was also wrong. They are beyond compare one of the best Australian wineries out there...

I ended up having maybe a glass and a half before pouring the rest down the drain. That's how picky I've become... So my darling South African friends, the next time we meet please show me some real nice South African wines and restorer my faith in wine coming from your homeland. I know there must be at least someone in South Africa making good wine.

No comments: