August 21, 2011

Fry Chronicles

One of my last memories of dad is him watching Fry & Laurie on Sunday night television. Mum and I watched it with him, but I don't think we got it as much as dad did. He really loved it and laughed very loud About 10 years later I finally got to understand the greatness of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, and I'm sure dad, in his heaven, let out a sigh of relief thinking that I sure took my time. But since then I've been hooked, especially Stephen Fry who I find highly intelligent, witty and oh so British.

The second instalment of his autobiography called Fry's Chronicles covers the years 1979 to 1987 starting with Cambridge and ending with cocaine. Years with Oxbridge friends Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie, Ben Elton, Robbie Coltrane, Rowan Atkinson and many other now famous household names. What started as student theatre and comedy got them into television, the West End and now world-famous celebrity status. Throughout the book there is also a streak of darkness. Fry's constant battle with not thinking he's good enough and hence overdoing things from time to time, something that he's very honest about.

It's a witty and funny book, with touches of gossip and plenty of intelligent observations. A most enjoyable read.

No comments: