August 22, 2011

Vivat Bacchus

Still having a bit of a "thing" about South African wines my South African friend and acclaimed food-blogger Jeanne decided last month in London to show me once and for all that South Africa makes fabulous wines.

Jeanne took me to Vivat Bacchus in Farringdon whose motto is "Life is too short to drink bad wine". Owned by South Africans with great passion for food and wine it was totally the right place to go.

First we started out with trying some Whites before ordering food.

Lourensford Chardonnay 2010
Light yellow colour with a good concentration of grapefruit and fresh peaches.

Reyneke Chenin Blanc 2008
Deep yellow almost straw colour. Nose of green citrus,pears, peaches and flint.

Two fabulous wines just the way I want them. Can you tell I'm getting closer and closer to admit that South Africa make great wines?

It was then time for a starter. We decided to share a Champagne platter with Jesus de Lyon Saussicon, terrine, smoked duck breast, Montbriac, thymegoat's cheese ball and baguette. The cheese was of course to die for and I'm pretty sure both Jeanne and I were sighing with delight when eating every last bit of it.

After the starter we went on with trying some Reds.

Paul Cluver Pinot Noir 2009
Red garnet colour. Lots of wild berry fruits and some mushroom A long, lingering, velvety finish.

Springfield Whole Berry, Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
Red orangey colour. Fruit and berries mixed with green peppers.

Catherine Marshall Syrah/Grenache/Mouvedre 2008
Light red colour. Classic taste of black pepper, cumin, cardamom and ripe black plums.

Again, most amazing wines. Especially the Whole Berry which really wiped out all my thoughts about Cabernet Sauvignon being a boring and dull wine. To go with our reds wine we decided to go with a classic Springbok burger and sweet potato chips.

And to finish off a Sticky of course.

Paul Cluver Weisser Reisling, Nobel Late Harvest 2010
Golden colour. Packed with apricot, spice and honey.

So I hereby admit that South Africa make excellent wines. I'm very happy that Jeanne took the time to show me what South Africa has to offer both in wine and food. It's was an evening to remember. The only downside though it that I can only get two of those wines in Sweden and they need to be ordered on request. But that means of course that next time in London I need to try more excellent South African wines.

No comments: