March 29, 2012

February wines

I’m running late. Again… Here are the wines I tried in February. Some new and some old. No borrowed or blue though...

Masi Campofiorin 2006
Wines from Masi has been part of me since my students days, even though nowadays I’m more into the upper range. Dark red colour with blue hues. On the nose plenty of dark cherries, some tobacco and chocolate. On the palate again cherries, sage and chocolate.

Le Volte 2008
For the last 6-7 months or so I’ve been drinking a lot of Italian wines, and really starting to like them. I wasn’t convinced after the first sip, but Le Volte really grew on me. Dark red colour with hints of blue. On the nose cherries, basil, blackberries and hints of liquorice. On the palate lots of cherries, blackberries and herbs.

André Clouet Grande Réserve
With 4000 or 7000 different champagnes out there (depends on who you talk to) I’ve decided to try so many of them as possible. Yellow colour. On the nose lots of flowers, yellow plum and bread. On the nose toast, chocolate and grapefruit. Made from 100% Pinot Noir it is a full and robust Champagne.

Delmas Brut 2008
Cremant, the little sister of Champagne, but just like real siblings they can surprise you. Light yellow colour. On the nose red apple, hazel nuts, bread and some lemon. On the palate also red apples, bread, hazel nuts and lemon. Crisp and fresh finish.

La Vignée Pinot Noir 2009
Just a year or two years ago I didn’t like Pinot Noir. I found them bleak and watery, but thankfully my taste has changed and/or developed. Now Pinot Noir is one of my favourite grapes. Light red colour with hints of blue. On the nose a lot of red berries, spices and grass. On the palate raspberries, strawberries and some grass.

Bonterra Zinfandel 2009
Saturday night, snow, a roaring fire, some friends and a bottle of Zinfandel. Life could be worse. Dark red colour. On the nose a lot of fruits such as blackberries and plums along with some mint and liquorice. On the palate again plums and blackberries along with hints of cocoa and vanilla

Laurent-Perrier Brut
Friday night has lately become equal with bubblies. A lovey habit… Light yellow colour. On the nose quite discrete hints of bread, apple and citrus. On the palate bread, green apples and citrus. Crisp finish.

The Stump Jump 2008
d’Arenberg is one of my favourite Aussie wineries who never let me down. Some white Stumpy made an ordinary middle of the week dinner definitely a lot more fun. Yellow colour. On the nose apple and tropical fruits such as pomegranate. On the palate again tropical fruits, peach and some hints of rose petal. Long finish.

Le Tense Sassella
Another Italian wine which really grew on me. And with some cheese… Well, it worked very well…. Red brick colour. On the nose dried cherries, bay leaves, tobacco and nuts. On the palate spices, dried cherries, nuts and hints of roses.

Coto de Imaz Gran Reserva 2001
My dad used to love Rioja and especially aged Gran Reservas. I think I have inherited that trait. Red brick colour. On the nose lots of oak, dark cherries, plums and leather. On the palate dark cherries, plums, plums cocoa and even some dill.

Château Coucheroy 2007
Not your typical Sauvignon Blanc, which probably is why but fish pie tasted ten times better than usual. Light yellow colour. On the nose pears, nettles citrus and minerals. On the palate pears, gooseberry and citrus.

Alexandre Bonnet Grande Réserve Brut
Another Friday and another bottle of Champagne. Yellow colour. On the nose light tones of apple and plums. On the palate bread, grapefruit and lemon. Crisp finish.

Rudera Chenin Blanc 2009
After tasting some very nice South Africa wines with my friend Cooksister last summer in London. Back home I went through all the shelves at my local wine shop to find the South African brands I had tried. No luck, but this was close enough. Light yellow colour. On the nose lots of fruits such as yellow plums and grapefruit. On the palate yellow plums, butter, nuts and grapefruit.

Zecci Classico 2009
Old fashioned Italian white which reminds me of summer and time off. Yellow colour. On the nose yellow apple, apricot, butter and some orange. On the palate oak, pear, tropical fruit, butter and again some orange.

Château Pech-Latt 2010
My first encounter with Pech-Latt was a bottle in a mixed case of organic reds. I don’t remember the other bottles, but Pech-Latt has been one of my house wines since then. Dark red colour with blue hues. On the nose blackberries, blueberries, lavender bay leaves and some pepper. On the palate oak, blackberries, blueberries, pepper and herbs.

Penfolds Shiraz Mourvèdre Bin 2 2009
Another Aussie favourite, which you can always rely on. Dark red colour with hints of purple. On the nose lots of blackberries, plums and bay leaves. On the palate oak, blackberries, plums, herbs, chocolate and even some mint.

No comments: