February 06, 2011

It ain't over...

My computer saga that is. After consulting the techies at work again (soon they will start charging me I'm sure) I went and bought a new graphics card on Tuesday. The card snapped very easily into the slot and when I restarted the computer everything worked very well. Getting back my wide screen resolution was pure heaven and I felt so proud of myself for managing this as well. OK, with advice but I had done all the work by myself

Wednesday went by without any problems. Both monitor and computer worked without any hiccups, but then starting the computer on Thursday morning the monitor didn't want to work. The monitor blinked once but that was it. Restarting several times didn't work either. (What is it we think will work by restarting, really?) After the last restart I went to have breakfast rather annoyed and let the computer just run without the monitor working. Some coffee and porridge got me a bit less annoyed so I decided to restart the whole thing one more time, and voilĂ  now the monitor worked. Hm...

Yet another consult with the techies and they told me it sounded like a mechanical problem, i.e. there is a glitch somewhere since it works after a while when computer has warmed up. So I should check that the graphics card is properly set into the slot, make sure the monitor works with another computer and upgrade the drivers. Also I should make sure that the BIOS really knows that it should use the new graphics card instead of the built in one. Did all those things yesterday and still there is no signal from the graphics card when starting the computer cold. But if I let it run for about 10-15 minutes and then restart it works perfectly. Aargh!

I could live with it like this. Just knowing that I have start the computer and then wait a while before the monitor works, but it annoys me. I want it to work from the minute I turn it on. Time to consult the techies tomorrow again (Maybe it's time to bring cake to keep them happy?) The computer saga ain't over yet...

1 comment:

AussieFoodie said...

That sucks. I will pick Hussybands brain when he stumbles home in a couple of hours and see if he canmake suggestions....