April 26, 2011

Lots of seeds

I'm a big fan of modern art thanks to my father who loved modern art as well and always brought me along to modern art exhibitions. Mother usually ended up sitting in the coffee shop or outside waiting forever. One of my favourite memories with my father is actually a visit Moderna Museet (Museum of Modern Art) in Stockholm and how he showed me things in the paintings and sculptures that no one else noticed. So yet another trait I've inherited from my father, I visit modern art museums.

In London I love Tate Modern and try to visit at least once every year. Over the years I have managed to see all of the Unilver series and with only a couple of weeks left of the current one with Ai Weiwei I dragged my poor friend Suss with me to Bankside.

I think she was expecting paintings and got rather surprised when she got to see sunflower seeds, and plenty of them. Millions of sunflower seeds hand-crafted in porcelain.

There is no other word for it than impressive and somehow also magnificent. It's also the reason why I'm not an artist. I would never ever come up with the idea to fill a turbine hall with hand-crafted sunflower seeds, but I'm very happy others do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the Tate too. Did you manage to walk on the seeds? They stopped people doing that when there was dust pollen from the seeds and some people felt ill - we too live in a nanny state! I took a picture of the men in white suits when they removed the seeds, but sadly never actually saw the exhibition.

Love you blog, by the way!

Helena