May 31, 2011

New job

The cat has been out of the bag for about three weeks now. I have new job. In early July I will leave my job as Group Online Production Manager and in August start a new job as Global Web Business Manager. Still in the travel industry, but in a totally different area.

I've been five years at this job and to take the step to change job was rather difficult. You always know what you have but not what you will get. You will need to start all over again at the new place with new people and new routines.

The full process of recruitment from the day the head-hunter called until the day I resigned took about 1½ month. With 2 months notice it felt like an eternity before I could leave. Now with only 5 weeks to go (and plenty of bank holidays in between) the time is going way too fast. So many things I need to finish and hand over.

It really hit me last week that I'm leaving the company when I was visiting the offices in Norway and Denmark and they both gave me goodbye presents (Wine of course. They know me all too well...) I will not see these people again and I will not bang on about my projects with them. Somebody else will do that. Instead I will do that with people I've never meet before. Who might find me all too much or strange. Or just love me.

At the moment I don't feel very worried or nervous about my new job, but I'm pretty sure that the closer I get to starting the more nervous I will get. It will be a bit of challenge, but a good challenge I'm sure. And people do change jobs every day and it's not like I haven't done it before. Of course I'll miss my many colleagues and all the projects we've been through. But memories and experience is something you always carry with you. It's part of who I am.

Changing job will probably also slow down time. With new routines, people and places you need to concentrate more than just doing the same old things over and over again. Ben Casnocha wrote great post about this a couple of weeks back. It applied to moving to new place, but I'm sure it applies to any major change in life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They will, of course, love you!